Do you think Santa is gluten-free? My daughter wonders about this. She always leaves Santa a full plate of lavishly decorated and lovingly selected cookies. This is our third gluten-free Christmas, and Santa doesn't seem to mind. We believe when he comes down the chimney, he is relieved to find gluten-free cookies and dairy-free hot chocolate made from coconut milk. Finally, a house that understands!
Here is our family recipe...
Hot Chocolate Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free
- This recipe uses So Delicious brand coconut milk creamer because of the mild taste, which allows the chocolate to be the star, and for the full-bodied feel of cream. You can find it at well-stocked grocery stores.
- Coconut sugar has a low glycemic impact, small amounts of phytonutrients and vitamin B, and is rich in flavor so a little goes a long way. It's my new favorite sweetener.
- Marshmallows are just plain fun! Adding them at the end lets you make the hot chocolate as sweet as you want. My daughter adds a lot, and I add a few.
Ready, Set, Go!
1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa (Hershey's cocoa is gluten-free)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups So Delicious brand coconut milk creamer
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add cocoa, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Whisk in only 1/4 cup of coconut milk creamer to start the mixing process.
- Once all ingredients are blended, add remaining coconut milk creamer.
- Heat fully, pour into mugs, and top with marshmallows.