The September air is calling for cranberries. Actually, it’s my memory of the cooler September air in Maine, where I grew up, that’s calling. Our home is now in Northern California where September proves to be hot. But my internal seasonal clock still thinks of this time of year as being cooler. I’m celebrating the beginning of cranberry season in New England with this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free cranberry bread. I love the burst of tart, ruby-red cranberry and the contrast of the walnut crunch.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Bread (Dairy-Free)
It is essential to use a 9 x 4 x 4-inch loaf pan. This size is narrower than the standard loaf pan, and it is my preference for gluten-free breads.
1 ½ cups Pamela’s all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 ½ cups almond flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon orange zest
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
¾ cup coconut sugar
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, mild flavor
1 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 ripe bananas)
1½ cups cranberries, frozen or fresh
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9 x 4 x 4-inch loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl combine Pamela’s flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and orange zest. Set aside.
3. Using another medium bowl and an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and coconut sugar until almost doubled in volume and thick, 3-4 minutes. Add the oil and vanilla and beat for another minute. Mix in the bananas.
4. Slowly add the dry mixture until just combined. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow to rest 5 minutes, then remove bread from pan and cool on rack.