This classic mashed potatoes recipe is made with Nutpods dairy-free creamer. Nutpods is my secret ingredient and is the key to the rich and satisfying taste. I will be proud to serve this for the holidays.
Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
Covering your potatoes in cold water will ensure even cooking, and salting the cold water will flavor the potatoes. I use a food mill so I don’t have to peel the potatoes. If you don’t have a food mill, just use a hand-held masher and either peel potatoes before you cook them, or make rustic potatoes with the peel on. Washing the food mill and utensils right after use will make cleanup much easier.
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
3 teaspoons kosher salt for water
1 cup Nutpods original dairy-free creamer
2 tablespoons dairy-free butter spread, such as Earth Balance
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1. Add potatoes to large pot, cover with cold water, add 3 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for approximately 25 minutes or until fork tender and falling apart.
2. While potatoes are cooking, warm Nutpods and dairy-free butter spread over low heat.
3. Drain cooked potatoes.
4. Working in batches, add potatoes to food mill fitted with a small blade and process over a large bowl. Remember to turn handle counterclockwise occasionally to help process.
5. Stir warmed Nutpods and melted dairy-free butter spread into mashed potatoes. Add a bit more Nutpods for a creamier texture. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over top of mashed potatoes for added richness.